Come celebrate the holidays with food, drinks and original music by our members!
Our orchestration challenge is back by popular demand, just in time for the holidays! This unique event offers our Los Angeles members the opportunity to have their orchestrations played by live musicians. On December 2nd, we are hosting a holiday party and music showcase featuring a selection of original music submitted to our challenge. Composers that wish to enter the challenge will be given four holiday themes to choose from and they will arrange/orchestrate for our ensemble: clarinet, bassoon, horn, vibraphone, violin, cello, double bass. We will select around 15 orchestrations to be played through by a professional ensemble at our showcase! While we won’t have a live orchestration discussion at this event, we will still have the scores available for everyone to follow along.
After we listen to the compositions, we’ll have our holiday celebration with dinner and drinks. The ASA thanks you for being part of our community. It’s been another great year! We invite everyone local to LA to come celebrate with us.
This event will be held at a private residence in Eagle Rock. The exact address will be given to ticket holders closer to the event.
ABOUT THE CHALLENGE
- Nov. 7 – Competition Opens – Sign up below!
- Nov. 26- Compositions Due – Submit your score, parts, and mockup here!
- Nov. 29 – Selected composers notified
- Dec. 2 – Holiday Party and Music Showcase in Eagle Rock!
- This challenge is free to enter, but a ticket is required to attend the event. Please sign up below and you’ll receive a link to download the melodic material.
- Get your event tickets here.
- $35 – Chamber Members
- $25 – Orchestra
- $FREE – Philharmonic
- Sign in to your account to see your code!
- Signing up for the challenge below with redirect you to a PDF with a choice of melodic material
- The melodic material is derived from these holiday tunes:
- Auld Lang Syne
- Joy to the World
- Go Tell It On the Mountain
- Gower Wassail Song
- You do not have to use the original rhythm, meter, or key of the tune.
- Harmony, textures, etc. are your chance to get creative.
- Total duration cannot exceed 120 seconds.
- You must make use of the entire ensemble: clarinet, bassoon, horn, vibraphone, violin, cello, double bass
- Composers are responsible for submitting PDFs (score and parts) and MP3 mockups by November 26. Submit your materials here!
- Please format your score for 8.5×11”.
- The ASA will print your score for the musicians.
- Your name can be on the score. Please also include your first and last name within the filename. Ex- ASAOrchestrationChallenge_FirstLastName.mp3
- Please indicate the holiday melody you used on the score.
- We will be selecting pieces based on creativity, use of ensemble, and readability of your score.
- Keep in mind that this is an educational event, so we will also consider the pieces that we can all learn from!
- We will not consider the production quality of your mockup when selecting pieces.
- The composers who are selected for performance are required to be present at our event on December 2nd. Please make sure you have a ticket!
- You are still welcome to apply if your piece was performed at our previous Orchestration Challenge, but we will give priority to composers whose music wasn’t performed.
- All composers retain full rights to the piece they submit. The source melodic inspiration does not require any kind of attribution.
- Composers who submit a piece agree that the ASA has the right to feature the piece at ASA events, and may record and share the music and event publicly (principally, via its web site and social media networks).
- If the composer’s piece is performed live at an ASA event, the recording may not be used for commercial purposes.